Saturday, February 9, 2008

Meet Me!

My name is Ariel Saldin and I am currently a senior at the University of Southern California, majoring in Business Information Systems. Originally from Long Island, NY, I plan to move to New York City upon graduation in May. As a product of an electrical engineer and a computer programmer, I have grown up with a deep interest in technology and its role in various environments. I have witnessed the birth of multiple entrepreneurial startups in my family related to satellite communication devices, database programming consulting, home theater entertainment systems, and most recently a private audiology practice focused on hearing aid screening and sales.


Although I am interested in all of these fields, I myself am most interested in the role of technology in my future city of residency, New York City. Therefore, in this blog in the weeks to come, I plan to discuss the role of technology in public safety (more specifically related to disaster awareness and recovery) in New York City. I will briefly discuss the evolution of technology since 9/11, but will focus on recent developments in technology that have created a safer and more prepared city. Additionally using trade publications and relevant tech sites as secondary sources, I will highlight new technologies that have been created or modified for the purpose of disaster awareness and recovery but are now being used for other functions. I will also pull opinions from other bloggers and people I know who live in NYC and ultimately hope to prove in this blog that technology has not only improved disaster awareness and recovery in New York City, but that the R&D associated with these projects has actually improved the quality of technology.


I am currently writing from New York (I am in town for my nephew's one year birthday party) and plan to discuss this topic with my friends and relatives who currently live in NYC. It is my hope that they share my same opinion on this subject, but if not, I will have an opposing viewpoint to share when I return.

And on a final and non-related note, it just started snowing! :)

No comments: